“Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory, tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” —Sun Tsu, Ancient Chinese Military strategist
Our Strategy Development and Deployment approach is designed to help you examine your internal and external environment and define your path forward. We facilitate you through foundational steps that help you set direction and establish context for your organization:
1. Organizational Assessment: We help you assess your organization and determine what approach is needed for you at this time.
2. Purpose, Mission, & Vision: Whether you have a blank sheet of paper or a well-defined Purpose, Mission, and Vision, we meet you where you are and help you develop or refine your direction ahead.
3. Competitive Strategy: We work with you to define your competitive strategy(ies) – Cost Leadership, Differentiation, First to Market, Industry-wide/Market Segmentation.
4. Operating Model: We help you understand which Operating Model is best for your organization – Diversification, Coordination, Replication, or Unification.
5. Cultural Identity: We examine various technical and social structure options to help you clarify the culture you are trying to create.
The output of these five steps provides a clear, concise description of your desired future state.
“If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.” - Mahatma Gandhi
Moving from a current state to a future state requires new capabilities, skills, and competencies. This starts with your leaders and then cascades throughout your organization.
“Good leaders don't tell people what to do, they give teams capability and inspiration.” -
Jeffrey R. Immelt
Our team of experts help you develop the capabilities needed in your leaders and workforce to get you where you want to go, specifically in the areas of People, Process, Technology, and Data.
“Every system is perfectly designed to get the results it gets." – W. Edwards Deming
Your current results are largely an outcome of your current systems, structures, policies, and procedures. If you want different results, you must make changes to your existing systems and structures.
“Management makes a system work. It helps you do what you know how to do. Leadership builds systems or transforms old ones.” ― John P. Kotter, Leading Change
Our team of experts help you assess and evolve your systems, structures, governance, policies, and procedures to assure they are aligned with your Mission, Vision, Operating Model, and direction ahead to give you the best chance for success.
“Nothing undermines change more than behavior by important individuals that is inconsistent with the verbal communication.” ― John P. Kotter, Leading Change
Changing your direction and transforming your organization requires your leaders to also change. They will need to develop a deep understanding of the direction ahead and learn new behaviors. We help your Leaders:
1) Develop new skills and competencies to lead in a new way
2) Lead the organization through the change
3) Transition your workforce into an aligned, engaged, learning organization
Our team of experts have successfully led organizations through significant change and have developed leaders across the globe. We will help mentor and coach your leaders and workforce throughout the process.
“We know, for example, that 70 percent of change programs fail to achieve their goals, largely due to employee resistance and lack of management support.” – McKinsey & Company”
The best intended changes often never realize their full potential due to 1) an organization’s inability to learn and change and 2) organizational leaders who do not know how to lead change.
A look back at many organizations reveals a “Graveyard of Failed Initiatives”. This is often accompanied by a workforce that has become numb to the “Initiative Flavor of the Month”. Some organizations devolve into a “Can’t Do” culture; in which the workforce’s response to a new idea is “If we stay low enough, long enough, this too shall pass. The sponsor will either move on or give up when the going gets tough and we can just keep doing things the way we always have been”
Our team of experts has experience with shifting cultures from one of “Can’t Do” to a “Can Do” learning organization. We help develop an engaged “culture of owners” that continuously improves your enterprise through the relentless elimination of waste and variability in pursuit of your mission.